Fort la Reine School has implemented a Balanced School Day across grades K-6. Our kindergarten students will still Many schools throughout the province run on a balanced schedule and have seen benefits for their students including improved nutrition, concentration, and energy levels.
Our school day will look like this:
- 8:50 - Students enter the school
- 9:00-10:20 - Classroom Instruction (breakfast is offered at this time in the classroom)
- 10:30-10:50 - Activity Break (grades K-3) / Nutrition Break (grades 4-6)
- 10:55-11:15 - Activity Break (grade 4-6) / Nutrition Break (grades K-3)
- 11:20-12:55 - Classroom Instruction
- 12:55-1:55 - Lunch Hour
- 12:55 - 1:20 Activity Break (grades K-3) / Nutrition Break (grades 4-6)
- 1:25 - 1:50 Activity Break (grade 4-6) / Nutrition Break (grades 4-6
- 1:50-3:30 – Classroom Instruction
- 3:30 - Dismissal
We will be working on improving the nutritional knowledge of our students and teaching them about meeting their own nutritional needs for growth and learning. FLR will provide a snack three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) which most often will be a fruit or vegetable. We are still asking parents to provide a snack for their child to help supplement this. When you provide morning snack for your child please be sure it is nutritious. Candy, sweets, chips, and pop will not be allowed for morning snack as they are too high in sugar and do not provide adequate nutrition for learning. If you need suggestions for appropriate snacks, please contact the school.
During the second Nutrition and Activity break, students with family members at home will go home as they do during a regular lunch hour. Students may stay at school if there is no one at home because family members are employed outside the home or are attending school. Permission letters will be sent home on the first day.
Tips for Parents - How to Plan and Prepare for Nutritional Breaks
Packing a well-balanced meal for the Balanced School Day can be fun and easy.
Follow these simple suggestions to plan a healthy, nutritious lunch for your child:
- Pack fruits, veggies, whole wheat sandwiches, crackers and/or cheese cubes.
- We will be drinking water at the morning nutrition break, juice boxes or milk may be sent for the second break, no pop or energy drinks are allowed.
- Pack foods without nuts or nut products as we have students with nut allergies.
- Involve your child in planning and preparing for his or her nutritional breaks.
- If your child is responsible for packing his or her lunch, please see that he or she has included a balanced selection of healthy foods from three or four food groups.
If you have any questions about this please contact Fort la Reine School.
Mr. Harkness - Principal